Take-home State Police cruisers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Aholodook, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Aholodook

Aholodook MassCops Member

Anyone know which State Police, Highway Patrol, State Patrol have take-home cars?

2. Goose

Goose The list is long, but distinguished. Staff Member

Massachusetts does, with the exception of the turnpike and the airport. Connecticut and Colorado do as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in on New Hampshire shortly.

3. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

We do. :smug:

4. PAUL1604

PAUL1604 MassCops Member

New Jersey has units assigned to certain select Troops. Unmarked Tac-Pac patrols take home their vehicles... and of course most of the brass.

5. BRION24

BRION24 Educating the public

Conneticut, Rhode Island and New Hampshire do

6. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

I think all State Police/Patrol and HP except: CHP, NYSP, NJSP and Michigan SP.

7. vtdeputy

vtdeputy MassCops Member

Maine Does, and us patrol deputies do as well here.

8. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

The Pike does now.

9. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Add Penn SP to the DO NOT take home their cars. Besides, I'd be embarrassed to take that MSP bubble gum light home...probably why they install those things.

[​IMG]

10. Goose

Goose The list is long, but distinguished. Staff Member

If they did, they'd probably be replacing them fairly regularly from the garage door strikes.

Although it looks pretty stupid, I do have to say that it's pretty cool that you can see those things several miles away on the highway in Michigan. I didn't get to see any on my trip last year, but noticed a few when I was there six years ago.

11. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

From wikipedia: In 2009, the number of Michigan State Troopers was being reduced to just over 1000 because of budget cuts from the over 1800 Trooper level of 2005.

12. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Just a snapshot of our future here...

Besides - you can see so much out there cuz it's all FLAT !

13. Aholodook

Does anyone know if Georgia, Arkansas, Montana, Oregon or Nebraska do?

14. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

Jeez, the last time I saw a light like that on a police car was when Stanley Rothenstein and William Gambini got felony stopped by the Beecham County Sheriff's Office. Can anyone think of any reason/advantages (other than budgetary) why they wouldn't have some type of lightbar? It is 2010.

15. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

That has been asked many times and the answer given is tradition.

16. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

I can say with certainty that Georgia State Patrol does.

17. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

According to Michigan's EVOC instructors, the single red light is more effective and visible as a warning light. The idea of the single rotating light works like a lighthouse. It makes the location of the light obvious, but doesn't strain or overload an oncoming driver's eyesight. That was the story they told us. Not saying it's 100%, but it's from the mouths of their EVOC instructors.

18. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

MSP Pike now have take home cars. Airport and Devens guys do not.

19. Aholodook

Thats interesting. Thanks

20. Aholodook

Does anybody know whether Ohio State Highway Patrol has take-home cruisers?

When I contacted them, all they gave me was their recruitment brochure PDF which does not go into benefits to much.

Can anyone answer this?

21. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Seems like a great research opportunity for someone with the time. Get the statistics for number of Troopers being hit by other vehicles in Michigan vs. Massachusetts. You could factor out all the variables, i.e. number of Troopers and civilians, number of OUI's on the road and get a pretty good result. Might put some end to the debate over "moth effect" and wether the new light bars are distracting.

22. grn3charlie

grn3charlie No! My teeth are real. See?

Why do you need to know all this?

23. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 92K+Poster

They Can:

OSHP | Home

24. Aholodook

Thanks!

I’m looking at becoming a State Trooper when I reach the age limit and I would like to go into an agency with take-homes. It’s a good benefit.

25. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't narrow down your search like that. Would you turn down a job offer with a department that didn't offer take-homes in a hope to get on another agency with them ?

You won't find much sympathy here because all the Troopers on this site had to drive back and forth to east bumfuck in their POV at one point in their career.