The Florida Highway Patrol, the Orange County Sheriff's Office and others are looking to hire.

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by kwflatbed, May 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed Subscribing Member MC1+MC2 +MC3 109K+Poster

Law Enforcement Today
    43 mins·
    The Florida Highway Patrol, the Orange County Sheriff's Office and others are looking to hire. 13 law enforcement agencies seek recruits.KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Some Central Florida law enforcement agencies have trouble filling vacant positions, which can slow response times.FHP is looking to hire 18 to 19 troopers in Orange and Osecola counties, Montiero said.The Orange County Sheriff's Office said it's searching for 33 patrol deputies, five full-time court security deputies and 11 emergency dispatchers.The Florida Department of Corrections has more than 1,700 openings statewide.

http://www.wftv.com/…/13-law-enforcement-agencies…/523091309

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Some Central Florida law enforcement agencies have trouble filling vacant positions, which can slow response times.

FHP is looking to hire 18 to 19 troopers in Orange and Osecola counties, Montiero said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said it's searching for 33 patrol deputies, five full-time court security deputies and 11 emergency dispatchers.

The Florida Department of Corrections has more than 1,700 openings statewide.

http://www.wftv.com/…/13-law-enforcement-agencies…/523091309

The Florida Highway Patrol said it's losing troopers to other agencies that pay more or offer better retirement. Others have left the business altogether.

So FHP and other local agencies hope a job fair can help fill the void.

[​IMG]

13 law enforcement agencies seek recruits at Kissimmee career fair

WFTV.COM

2. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

If one is thinking about a law enforcement career in FL, look into the Sheriff's Office rather than FHP. Much better agency for a litany of reasons. As I have stated in the past FHP is NOT the MSP.

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  3. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Fhp makes less money than a Florida state university police officer. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 likes this.
  4. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

FHP day one out of the academy: $16.33/hr!

PBC cop is right, the FHP is NOT the MSP!!

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I was in Key West last summer and saw two FHP troopers at Starbucks. They financed their drinks on their card, felt so bad for them.

6. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

You were a little late weren't you Yimmy!?!?o_O
    HydrofoilReunion eb.jpg

Goose and j809 like this.
  7. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

As in EBT card? That's really fucked up if Cops are paid so little they're getting food stamps, not to mention embarrassing to use them in uniform.

8. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Any particular counties you'd recommend over others?

9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Nice I still have pictures on Pegasus from Key West 1987.

10. PBC FL Cop

There are many good sheriff's offices in FL. Palm Beach County being the best of course, but any of the larger sheriff's offices offer rewarding careers. It really depends on the part of FL one wants to live. FL is a large state and areas of the state differ greatly.

woodyd likes this.
  11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

PBCO has a good contract it's online good $.

12. felony

felony MassCops Member

While on my first year of probation I made $19 hr. I also didn't have a take home car or endless amounts of OT, low rent or reduced taxes. I had to take every shift that got to me, just to pay my rent. FHP for most, is nothing more then a means of getting "certified" then they move onto bigger and better. FHP like most low paying agencies has attrition at the bottom but never the top of the food chain.

13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Working for the FHP will hurt you from getting a real cop job in Florida though. Ask PBCFL Popo

mtc likes this.
  14. PBC FL Cop

Very True. FHP has the longest academy as well as the only live-in academy in the state. There are much easier ways of getting certified in FL than going through FHP. Troopers are not looked upon highly and the experience one receives with FHP will be restricted to traffic enforcement and accident investigations. FHP leaves the real police work to the real cops ;)

j809 likes this.
  15. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Wow! Florida sounds like the bizarro world version of Massachsuetts

mpd61 and PBC FL Cop like this.
  16. USM C-4

USM C-4 MassCops Member

It's not that uncommon. If an agency calls itself "Highway Patrol" then it may be just that. An agency that patrols the highways. And, little else.

If it calls itself "State Police" then it is more likely to provide full-spectrum services over the entire state.

Those aren't certainties, but general guidelines.... as always, YMMV.

Goose likes this.