To wait or not to wait

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Clydon94, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Is being a non-vet civilian worth the CS MA wait... I am 22 years old and scored low (85) on this past CS test. I understand the process in becoming a full time police officer can be lengthy and stressful (after reading through some threads on MC) but just wanted some feed back from people who have tried to get on in MA for 8 plus years. I figured take two more CS tests in MA before pursuing another state. Has anyone regret waiting? Or think they should've pursued another state earlier rather than later

-Reserve Academy
    -Associates Degree
    -Current Special Police Officer

2. Spartan219

Spartan219 Guest

Does your department hire their full timers off of their specials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

They do if you live in town off CS

4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Not to sound like the voice of doom but you have to hit the trifecta.
    Score
    Residency
    Veteran

There's just too much competition in a small state for a good paying job with bennies. Get something in New England and you're always close to home or try one of the big cities. Masscops has members from LAPD and NYPD.

I'm sure they give you a hand if you decided to go that route.
    In all sincerity good luck, but don't wait too long

USAF3424, triplethreat and Goose like this.
  5. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 Supporting Member

If you are 22, you might find yourself quickly at 32 and no closer to the job if you do not have the trifecta described above. If you are serious about getting started, either go to neighboring state and apply or go out of state to a place that has a training program you can self sponsor into that is compatible with Massachusetts standards. I've posted before that CT departments are always hiring and are usually higher paying, professional jobs. CT takes policing seriously. If you take a passive approach it probably won't happen.

pahapoika and Goose like this.
  6. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Yes.

Yes.

Plenty of places in NH hiring.

Don't wait for something if this is what you want to do. Hanging onto hope that a particular department will get down to your score, is an epic waste of time.

Tried for 11 years, hoping that the MSP would get to my score, and I skipped a bunch of tests thinking "I'm still young, I have time." Lots of people told me the same, that I was young and had time.

Suddenly I wasn't young, and time was out.

GARDA, pahapoika and Goose like this.
  7. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Thanks for all the feed back, I've been filling out apps for NH, Manchester caught my eye, Pvt are you a PO in Nh? Any details I should know regarding NH

pahapoika and Inspector71 like this.
  8. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

No he's not, but he can be my wingman anytime!!!!!!!

Hush, mpd61 and Pvt. Cowboy like this.
  9. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I started taking civil cirus tests when I was 21, only to have my score go down each additional test I took every two years.

You snooze you lose. Start looking out of state now, not when you are in your late 20s.

pahapoika likes this.
  10. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Asking as I get on...MA is a real winner when it comes to the process... I'll keep an eye out, FHP is in my sights as well

11. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

FHP may be a good place to start but keep your head on straight. It's been a while since I've looked but I don't think they pay very well and they didn't have a stellar reputation with other LE agencies but things may have changed. We used to have a member on here with FHP but I don't think he has been on in 7 or 8 years.

BxDetSgt and pahapoika like this.
  12. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

I've said it before but military should be an option also. Do your four years, you will be out at 26 and still be younger than most guys/girls who get hired full time. It's invaluable in skills you learn and the networking. I talked to a younger guy the other day who wanted on my dept in the worst way. I said the same thing to him and his excuse was "well I don't want to die". Well I don't want you as my backup then. If its a family issue, that's one thing but cops are dying faster than military guys are now a days so... World needs plenty of bartenders!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Tuna, militia_man, BxDetSgt and 6 others like this.
  13. Pvt. Cowboy

A lot of people from mass get hired in NH. There was a bunch that got hired the last round in Manchester. Nashua is also a good deferment, I know a couple people that bailed from mass to get hired pretty quickly at Nashua. They figured it out quickly.

There's a polygraph. Voodoo science if you ask me, but still part of the process. It's not nearly as political up here, and tattoos are ok above the elbow. Be the best candidate you can be, and you'll be put into contention. Wish I had tried up here years ago.

Bench press test too. People fail because of that, and the run.

If you pass the test, and pass the PT portion, you WILL get an interview. At that time you need to show them how strong of a candidate you are.

USAF3424 likes this.
  14. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Look at a map of the US.

Look at any place not named Massachusetts and they are probably hiring police officers.

Go to one of those places. I heard Virginia is nice this time of year.

zm88, pahapoika, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  15. Pvt. Cowboy

Lmao.

16. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Haha fact

17. Herrdoktor

My department can't find enough qualified candidates for positions we desperately need filled so when I read threads like this all I want to do is bang my head on my desk.

18. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

What department is that?

19. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Same here.

20. Herrdoktor

21. felony

felony MassCops Member

Like others have said, take every test you can. Taking the CS test, every 2 years drains time and before you know it, you're maxed out on age or have something else in the fire. My advice is to join the Guard, it will force you to keep up your PT and if you deploy is your ticket. Or self sponsor to a full time academy and soon enough, with all the departments leaving CS, you will have a better shot of getting on.

I did well on the CS test but did not get hired, so I went out of state, did well and got the job. I work in RI so I am no more than 45 minutes from friends and family. There is life beyond Massachusetts!

zm88, pahapoika and USAF3424 like this.
  22. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Join the guard. You'll be able to keep your current job. When you get back from training you can get your bachelors & masters at any state school for free. Hop on the first deployment you can to get vet status. I'm about to wrap up my 6 year contract and my unit has deployed 3 times in those 6 years.

militia_man and pahapoika like this.
  23. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

24. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

I've been on 17 years and when I was trying I took every test. Ma,CT,MA sp,CT sp, CT corrections. Started off with corrections and shortly after got on local. You shouldn't take just one test and limit your options remember there's a lot of competition there. If I could start over I'd be a plumber or electrician

mpd61 and pahapoika like this.
  25. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I took two Civil Service tests, scored 99 on both, and still waited. Went out of state and never looked back.

pahapoika, Herrdoktor and Goose like this.