To wait or not to wait

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Clydon94, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

I dicked the dog for at least 3 CS tests while in my 20's in Mass hoping for a miracle. In the meantime got Associates in CJ, joined Military reserve component, worked as a Boston Rule 400 special, ended up working in corrections for a decade before I wriggled into my non-CS dream cop gig.

I always say it- its the journey and not necessarily the destination.

Inspector71 and pahapoika like this.
  2. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Im very close to being on the same boat

3. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I'm here when you're ready

zm88, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I wanted Boston Fire ( scored a 100 ) , but would up with the DOC. If i had to do it over again would have stayed driving for BFI ;)

Inspector71 and USAF3424 like this.
  5. msw

msw MassCops Member

It's amazing how little has changed in MA in this regard in the last forty years! In 1975, at 21, I took my first CS test, and another about 18 months later. But there were very few opportunities with any decent sized MA PD in the mid 1970's, unless you were a minority or female. I did get offers from a couple very small MA PD's, but didn't have any interest in working for a tiny Dept. But back then, I also "hedged my bets" by applying to PD's in CT, FL, and CA, while working as a Campus Cop (an SSPO!) at Wellesley College PD. And in the fall of 1977, when I was 23, I loaded all my earthly possessions into my 1963 Chevy and drove to California for an LE job with a big agency. Gave it 33 1/2 years (of active service, I stayed on as a Reserve, after my retirement), never looked back, and never regretted the move. I grew to really love the southwest USA, and didn't really miss New England much at all, after a very short time..... Though I do stil enjoy visiting friends and family in the area. (Just not in the winter or summer!)

Inspector71, HuskyH-2, Goose and 2 others like this.
  6. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Took the fire exam 3 times (scored a 100 all 3 times). Never heard anything. BFD hasn't hired a civilian since 2005? Took my first police exam as a civilian right after joining the guard. Got hired by BPD in the first class off the list.

militia_man and pahapoika like this.
  7. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

It must of been tough leaving family behind. I'm still not positive if I can do that yet or not, I have so much to leave behind. I don't mind somewhere an hour or two away but CA is a ballsy move. I'm up in the air about that decision

8. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Working for the clampdown

TRUTH! I happen to be in VA right now. It is indeed very nice!

9. msw

msw MassCops Member

I was single and wanted an adventure. I wanted to work for a big Dept, with high crime areas, and the potential for lots of varied assignments over a multi-decade career, and it did not take long for me to realize that was not going to happen if I stayed in MA. And I did in fact get all of that during my 3+ decades with the "other big Dept" in Southern California. So for me, no, it was not all that difficult a decision. Yes, I left friends and family behind, but that is what vacations are for. I realize this kind of move is not for everyone, but as LA Copper will attest, there are a lot of MA folks who did in fact come west to Southern California for LE jobs over the past few decades. And I am guessing most of them stayed!

10. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

If you want to do a lot of really cool police work join the rest of us in the 617 Club three hours south. They even let you root for the B's, C's, Pats, and Sox! Honestly there are a ton of Massholes down here on NYPD, and a ton of opportunities to do some really cool work. In the ghetto it really is all about how hard you work and not who you know (somewhat)>

LA Copper, zm88, Clydon94 and 3 others like this.
  11. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

If you want to stay in Massachusetts and be a cop, then you need to man up and join the military. The National Guard or reserves will give you the best of both worlds and you can volunteer for deployments to earn veteran status.

I'm partial to the Air National Guard. One half of my Security Forces Squadron (military police) had served in the Army or Marines prior to crossing into the blue. They were all proud of their prior service with the other branches, but they were glad they transferred. The Air Force takes great care of Airmen and families, has good equipment, and training has greatly improved due to the demands of the Global War on Terror.

The Coast Guard Reserve would probably be a good gig too. Join up with a port security unit and you probably would be able to volunteer for a deployment overseas.

Whatever branch you join, you will meet some GREAT AMERICANS and make good professional contacts that you may find helpful sometime in the future. Plus, you will be part of the true 1% who did their small part to serve this nation in the military.

12. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

3 of my friends joined the army, they all said the time sucked but realized in the end it is worth it. also one of my friends said most of his time spent there was with immature guys who walked around like they where macho/was all about sucking up to who was in command. so i have heard good and bad about the military. But, I tried joining right after HS but was denied because i was on medication at the time for my arthritis in my elbow.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Explains the typing issues, good luck.

14. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

Haha took me a second to get that...thanks

15. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

If you want it bad enough, and you know it will help you get where you want to be, then your friends view point shouldn't matter. It should motivate you that if your friends were able to do it, you should too. It's a short period of time and It can be hard, but so is the profession your trying to get into, and it will prepare you for it. You might have make some sacrifices to make it happen. The military is what you make of it. There are times it sucks, there is times when it's awesome. Kinda like being a cop, so if your looking for good times for the next 30 years with guys who aren't type A personalities or sucking up, then I would take out a loan, open up a bodega in Cambridge and call it a day.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    pahapoika, Goose and militia_man like this.
  16. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

That's what happened.

I sent the loan application for the bodega to the police department, and the police department application to the bank.

I was wondering why I didn't get the loan, nor get hired.

Inspector71, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  17. Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas MassCops Member

If you want to be a cop in Massachusetts then you should to take the advise you have been given on this forum. I would say most of the comments on this forum are valid, tried and true from years of experience and heart ache. I was never able to land a job on a civil service agency in Massachusetts but have since gained employment in law enforcement in another region of the U.S. I explored options in other parts of the country and was able to get hired relatively easily at two large municipalities. I have since been working for the same agency for the past 8 years with little regret. That said, the burning desire to work the job in Massachusetts never die. I personally feel if you meet the qualifications set in Massachusetts, you likely meet the qualifications throughout much of the country. That said, you may not get the job satisfaction you desire by working in another part of the country. I often find myself monitoring this website looking for opportunities to transfer back to the mother land knowing full well that I wouldn't leave and uproot if given the opportunity at this stage of my life. If I were you I would do some soul searching and decide WHERE you want to be a police officer ( MA, NH,) and then decide what you have to do to obtain your goal. Massachusetts is difficult to get on as stated above. and is loaded with young adults who are willing to give up 2-6 years of their youth just to have the chance at the job in the commonwealth. I would also direct you to target somewhere warm. Not having to shovel driveways and sidewalks has been a small blessing and golfing 12 months a year does provide some therapeutic value after a week of taking calls. Good Luck

pahapoika, Danusmc0321 and Clydon94 like this.
  18. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Sancuary city man, make a killing. "Se habla español and EBT Welcome!"

pahapoika and Goose like this.
  19. Clydon94

Clydon94 MassCops Member

everyone on here has given me great advice, this thread has turned into a good reference for young guys like myself, I appreciate it

20. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I did ten years in retail, have injuries to show for it, and could say the exact same shit - just not the "worth it" part.

zm88 likes this.
  21. JerryD

JerryD New Member

So it is extremely difficult to be a mass cop?
    I only know one guy who became a trooper at 30. He never had any real long-term jobs before that: security guard, recruiter, fraud investigator (WTH is that?)... Also military reserve. What a long waiting.

22. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Any idea when NYPD might be recruiting again, and maybe if there will be a consolidated out of state test? I started the process when I was 22, got as far as the background package, but didn't end up following through because I thought I had a couple of good chances in MA. None of them panned out, I'm 26 now and not chasing the opportunity with NYPD is a huge regret of mine.

23. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Generally speaking, yes. Just to get looked at, you need to either place highly enough on the CS list or get an interview with a non-CS department. Getting hired is a different type of difficult.
    If you have disabled veteran or survivor status, you will most likely be called for CS; for non-CS, already having a FT academy under your belt will likely get you interviews. If you don't have either of those, it's much harder to even start the process. Count on getting a 98-100 on the test and having some luck.
    Once you've started the process, you will need to pass multiple interviews, written and face-to-face psychiatric tests, medical exams, drug testing and an extensive background investigation looking into employment, schools, neighbors, friends, and basically every indiscretion you might have been involved in. Every one of these steps disqualifies some applicants. By the end of the process, only a small number of people who had the opportunity to start the process will end up getting hired.
    Every well operated PD maintains standards for hiring, so what I described in the second paragraph applies everywhere, but in some departments there is a lot more hiring activity, so it could be easier to get the chance to "try out" for the job, though you'll still need to meet the standards.

24. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Hi There, I'm trying to gather some information as well, I figured since this thread was substantiated i'd ask this question.

I'm 34 years old and am studying for the 2017 CS Exam, what is the procedure on test day? Someone earlier had mentioned a Chest Press and Run, are those on test day? what are their parameters?

I do not have military experience which is why I mentioned my age, however, I was a Correctional Officer in the past and have over 8 separate years of Security work history. How difficult might it be for me to be a new hire without the added military benefit?

Thanks in advance!

25. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Very difficult.

Only a test on test day, NH does the PT right after the exam, not Mass.

Plus you've aged out for a lot of departments.