To wait or not to wait

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by Clydon94, Apr 15, 2016.

1. baconator

baconator MassCops Member

The military opens doors.

2. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Thanks Pvt.

Can you elaborate on the age issue? I didn't know I would actually have a problem with me at 34 my worry was if I didn't get anywhere in 2017 then should I just apply for non CS agencies, I didn't consider being too old?

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

A lot of the CS communities have a cap at 32. MSP is 34 I think? Can't be 34 before the test date? You'll have to look it up.

4. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

I think we are testing now, not sure if they are still doing the out of state recruiting, but they usually will try and consolidate all steps into a few days.

woodyd likes this.
  5. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

Thanks for the info, the recruiting webpage said the exam had been temporarily cancelled, it seems like a couple of times now an exam has been scheduled then cancelled. I'll keep checking and sign up for the first one that's available (and try to convince a couple of my friends in Boston who are still waiting on the card to join me...)

6. felony

felony MassCops Member

You're still young enough to get on. The NYPD age limit is 35 I believe. Just make a weekend trip and go to NYC on one of the 6 days a week they are hosting an exam. (when they are hosting the exam again). You're foolish not to take the exam ASAP as it generally takes 2 years from the time of the exam, to a academy start date. Sometimes longer depending on the exam list and you're score.

The NYPD is a different animal as I am sure BXDETSGT can tell you all about. I have a brother in law, who is a Detective in the NYPD and primarily does warrant apprehension. He is now trying to get into the terrorism unit and become stationed abroad. He loves it but they definitely operate differently than Boston PD.

woodyd likes this.
  7. woodyd

woodyd MassCops Member

That's my plan, I'm going to take the first exam they schedule once the exams start back up again. Like I said it's a huge regret of mine that I didn't pursue NYPD when I had the chance last time. I'd love to be working in the Bronx, Brownsville or Bed-Stuy right now, doing police work non-stop.

felony likes this.
  8. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Hi Pvt. Thank you for that, I suppose my final question on this topic would be this.
    Given that I'm currently 34, have no military background but a solid work history...

Do you suggest I take the test anyway to get the experience of it, see if I can garner interest from a department based on my score and where I am on the list and if nothing in 6 months start throwing in applications/testing for agencies in NH/surrounding states?

Thanks for dealing with these questions..

I am at the point in my life where I'm finally able to start applying and testing and just now finding out that I should have been trying since 2012 is a tough thing but I've always adapted and learned from everything that gets in my way.

9. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

All NYPD exams have been cancelled until further notice.

Beginning to (finally) take the advice of the wiser from the forum and look around other than MA. Only issue is that I'm limited with the reserves.

10. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

You'll wait 6 months just to get your scores back from the CS test. I'm not kidding. Test in April, results in October.

Don't wait for the CS exam. If you want a job in LE, apply now in NH, RI, wherever. Mass is legitimately like a lottery, that's all. Other places hire much differently. My recommendation is always NH. Nashua and Manchester hire pretty regularly, as they're both large departments.

11. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

The LAPD test is given six days a week and it's free (not counting the plane trip out here).

We have an expedited testing process where you can take all the tests in one or two trips.

If you were to start the process today and you have a clean background, you could be in the academy within six months as we have an academy class starting every other month.

The weather is great 12 months a year, which great when you're doing police work outside.

I'll be back there for a few weeks vacation in August if anyone is interested and would like to talk about it in person. Always happy to help.

Between NYPD, LAPD, Virginia, and New Hampshire, you have options.
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    visible25 and pahapoika like this.
  12. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Thanks for that information Pvt! I will defiantly look into NH next year, I've got another year of work history I want to get under my belt (to show 5 year work history) before I start throwing in applications.

LA Copper, as far as CA goes I would consider that as well. I have also been watching LVMPD, they are hiring like crazy and I grew up in SW Las Vegas so I am already fond of that area, however, I have thoroughly enjoyed my transplantation to the NE where there are actual seasons instead of 24/7 summer! West Coast work is in my wheel house though as a possibility, I have no "roots" anywhere and will go to where the job is because it's just what I've worked towards my entire adult life gathering work experience in different fields to assist me with my "career" if that makes sense.

13. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I've never been through the process but I get the impression you have to be squeaky clean :cool:

14. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Maybe not "squeaky clean" but pretty close to it.

Kalex, I know a guy on Vegas Metro who is a sometime visitor to this site and who also happens to be a fellow New Englander.

He likes his job almost as much as I like mine. You've got options.

Goose and pahapoika like this.
  15. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Thanks LA, I am looking forward to this adventure. I applied for Yarmouth PD back in '14 using "policeapp.com" and I have updated my information there to include NH, RI, VT, and CT. I'm very appreciative of all of the suggestions and feedback, I'm gonna study like crazy for the next 12 months then next year it's application and go time!
    Thanks again!

16. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

Honestly, why do people impose restrictions on themselves by wasting time waiting to build up a work history to some arbitrary milestone (like 5 years) Believe me, the difference between 4-5 years of work history is NADA. Just get off your ass and get going for fucks sake!
    :confused:

17. Kalex100

Kalex100 MassCops Member

Thanks Inspector! 'preciate the motivation. My story is a bit more complicated than that, but my motivation is at 100 percent, thank you for confirming it being time to get off said ass!

Inspector71 likes this.