Quantcast

Trooper - Florida Highway Patrol

Discussion in 'Beyond New England' started by PBC FL Cop, Jun 8, 2010.

1. PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

2. johnjohn MassCops Member

PBC, Are you a FL Trooper? Can you give me any insight with the joining process. I am a Massachusetts residence now, but my fiance and I are contemplating on moving out to Florida. I am not a current law enforcement officer but I am trying to truly make an effort. We are actually leaving out to Spring Hills this Friday to see what there is to offer for us down there.

What is the process like? From what I read, I believe a canidate needs to become certified first and proceed with trying to find a department. And also how strict are they with screening? I only ask because I remember reading somewhere about credit rating and it may pose an issue with the hiring process.

Thank You,
    John
  3. The Bad LT MassCops Member

FHP is tough to get on. They pay is low 35k and moral is low. However, last I read they have about 40k applications to sift through for a mere 50 slots. Each Academy is 6 month res. They are lucky if they put on 2 classes a year.

Credit is a big part of applying to any LE agency. If you have crazy debt its going to be a neg against you.
  4. mtc High Priestess

2 classes a year... unheard of in THESE here parts!
  5. LawMan3 Moderator

Could you even imagine if MSP had 2 classes....even 1 class a year?! Me either. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. mtc High Priestess

Fortunately, or not, I've been around long enough to see classes in quick succession.

I've been here for 6 classloads of graduates. Breaking them in and tenderizing thier balls, one shift at a time. :shades_smile:
  7. LawMan3 Moderator

Well perhaps one of these days I'll be lucky enough to be "broken in", but be gentle on the balls, see.....
  8. PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

Hi John,

No I am not a trooper with FHP. FHP normally hires continuously and have a high turnover rate. FHP is not the MSP, many people come from the Northeast looking to become FHP troopers believing they are like SP's up north, they are NOT. They work the highways exclusively, not that there is anything wrong with patrolling the highways, but a career with FHP limits ones career options. I work with many former troopers who left for the SO. I good friend of mine left FHP as a Sgt with 18yrs to be a probationary deputy sheriff, if that tells you anything.

I would advise someone looking into law enforcement in FL to look to a Sheriff's Office or large City PD. The Sheriff's are typically the top agency in the county with the most opportunities.

Most agencies hire from an application, not a test score like Civil Service does. The process is similar to other areas; written test, oral board, background, polygraph, PT etc.

Good luck!!
  9. The Bad LT MassCops Member

FHP is one of the few agencies hiring non certified in FL. Thus the influx of applicants. FHP isnt a bad gig. You get a take home, good training, you create your own work and state wide jurisdiction. However, the pay is low. You will be stuck in south Florida, and I believe they work 5/8 hr shifts. No 4/2.

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

FHP may get 2 classes a year but with those 50 recruits graduating a class another 25-75 leave the department. Its a revolving door and they are just running classes to fill the gap.
  10. PearlOnyx Subscribing Member

John John,

I haven't been on here in forever, but I just happened to notice your post. I am a Trooper with FHP. I've been here for 5 years. First and most importantly, this is a traffic agency, and nothing more. There are an extremley small number of speciality positions, but you should not count on these, because they are so few in number.

Personally, if you are just starting out, it is a good agency to start with and get your feet wet. If other options were available, I would look elsewhere, but with the economy and agencies hiring only certified applicants, choices are limited. Morale is very low right now due to pay issues. We do no have step pay, and are subject to pay raises at the annual whim of state legislature (which is pretty much never). There is also no longevity pay. A 25 - 30 year trooper makes the same pay rate as a probationary trooper Day 1 out of the academy.

If you are looking to get down here, get the academy, and get a few years behind your belt, FHP, FWC and Capitol Police are all hiring, but all state law enforcement agencies are in a bad spot right now pay wise, and we are loosing good employees like it is going out of style.

Good luck!
  11. uspresident1 MassCops Member

That's dissapointing to hear Pearl. Any chance of that pay going up in the near future? I can't believe how poorly they pay you guys.