Tufts PD: Spring Fling Leads to Mass Casualty Incident

Discussion in 'University & Campus Police' started by fscpd907, Apr 30, 2009.

1. fscpd907

fscpd907 Subscribing Member

Spring Fling leads to mass casualty incident

Ben Gittleson

Authorities declared a mass casualty incident (MCI) during Spring Fling, as the number of patients emergency services had to deal with during one point on Saturday afternoon exceeded the number that their resources could support.

Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS) received 30 calls, according to TEMS advisor Geoffrey Bartlett. At least 10 students were sent to local hospitals, according to Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) Sgt. Robert McCarthy. A rush of calls over a few hours overwhelmed ambulance services.

Armstrong Ambulance Service, which covers Medford, declared an MCI after it — along with Cataldo Ambulance Service, which works in Somerville — did not have enough ambulances to transport patients from the annual event, which featured rappers Ludacris and Asher Roth as well as The Decemberists and two Tufts student bands.

"In my recollection of TEMS history, this is the only time that I'm aware of that TEMS has been involved with a formally declared MCI," said Bartlett, who first became involved with the service as an undergraduate in the mid-1990s. Bartlett is also the technical services manager at the Department of Public Safety.

"The volume, frankly, was surprising," Bartlett said. "We've never seen so many emergencies at Spring Fling."

Because the Medford-Somerville line runs through the President's Lawn, at which Spring Fling took place, both Medford and Somerville emergency services joined the university in responding to the event.

As soon as the MCI declaration was made, Bartlett said, ambulances could begin coming in from outside the immediate communities.

Temperatures were unseasonably warm during Saturday's concert, which saw four TEMS teams on the ground covering the event and campus. Representatives of local emergency services and the university staffed an incident command station at Tisch Library, coordinating services throughout the day.

"This Spring Fling was very, very busy [compared to past years]," said junior Allie Krill, the executive director of Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS).

Bartlett would not comment on the types of calls TEMS received, citing privacy concerns.

"Our students who work for TEMS did an outstanding job yesterday," Bartlett said. "We certainly took measures ahead of time, but they still had to work more than we ever had to see a TEMS detail at Spring Fling have to work."
  2. Mikey682

Mikey682 Subscribing Member

And what exactly were these "medical emergencies" that caused all the regional EMS services to rush to the college to handle?
  3. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

My money is on dehydration furthered by alcohol poisoning.
  4. mikey742

mikey742 Subscribing Member

Obie is right
  5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

No stabbings or drive bys? That's a HUGE success for a concert of that type. Being honest, how often do these types of concerts NOT have violence of some sort?
  6. Foxracingmtnridr

Foxracingmtnridr Subscribing Member

It's Tufts University. Not a hip hop show at the Roxy.
    It's just a bunch of drunk Yah Doods up there. :alcoholi:
  7. Kilvinsky

I know of other schools that have had similar shows and riots broke out. Not always pretty.
  8. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

So they glorified a story about a bunch of drunk kids who can't handle their booze?

Not sure I would have lasted this long in that kind of environment.
  9. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

darnation !!! I drank too much and feel queasy...I need to waste a paramedics time....and make much ado about nothing...I'm a wealthy yuppie...It's An EMERGENCY on CAMPUS !!!!! PANIC TIME !!!!
  10. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the title, I was thinking that a stage collapsed or something to that effect.

I even agree with Loyal on this one. Although I think the "Yuppie," reference is a tad bit outdated. lol.
  11. Kilvinsky

It probably was a case of Biff and Muffin getting a little too tanked, but I figure since I wasn't there, I have no idea what happened so I can't make an assessment.

Then again if either of my kids was stupid enough to drink enough to pass out due to alcohol poisoning, I would like to think that someone would be looking out for him or her rather than ignoring it and potentially the worst happening, but that's just me.

No one gets annoyed with these kids as much as I do, but sometimes, like it or not, you gotta do something. Or not.
  12. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

It's not the handling of the incident that is being criticized it's the manner of reporting.

I guess he's learning at an early age how to report the news. Maybe he'll get a job with the new Boston (fill in the blank) after word gets out that using the Globe for toilet paper is a biohazard.
  13. new guy

I agree, we transport drunks to the hospital all the time, but like 94C stated, it's the way that it was reported that we are criticizing. According to the article, "authorities," declared it a mass casualty incident. I'm curious as to what authority made that declaration. Seems a little much IMO.
  14. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

It's all about the ICS-100, 200, 300, 400 that we are forced to attend with the Fire Dept. and EMS.

It was quite easy to figure out who was who. The cops were all snoring while the Fire Dept. and EMS were keeping them awake with all the questions.
  15. champalou05

champalou05 MassCops Member

I saw all these snoby rich kids come in drunk at one of these hospitals and needless to say it wasnt a MCI we probably got 8 111b's in a matter of an hour or 2 and every one of them had puke all over themselves and not one was of leagal age
  16. Kilvinsky

Students caused it, Armstrong Ambulance declared it.

If nothing else, it was a nice easy way to test the system. When you think about it, how many 'mock drills' are done? In a mock drill, it's kinda useless since everyone involved KNOWS what's coming and it's all fake. Here's a situation where no one knows what's coming and it's far from a major issue so if someone drops the ball, it's not such a big deal, not like a dirty bomb went off or a mass shooting.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice! Practice! Practice! Better to practice in a real situation though minor than to find oneself in a major disaster and all you've got to fall back on is some 'mock drills' that had no actual surprises. If you get 'active shooter' training, would you rather have an instructor that went to school and learned nothing but hypothetical situations, or someone who was IN an AS situation and can tell you what worked and what didn't? Tihs isn't active shooter, but the same rule applies.

I won't argue against your opinions I don't think you're wrong, but as BS as it was for a number of reasons, but I'm glad it happened.
  17. new guy

I won't argue against yours either, you make some decent points that I didn't consider.
  18. Goose

Goose The Doctor is IN! Staff Member

19. Kilvinsky

"We were notified that a large number of Tufts University students were getting sick during what was called their Spring Fling Weekend,” said Richard Pozniak, director of marketing and communications at Hallmark Health. “They were dehydrated or coming in after ingesting large amounts of alcohol.”

And as one my instructors at the Somerville Police Academy would have said..."And they're ALIVE today!"

That man saved more lives than the general population of Eastern China. Very nice guy, but we were all convinced he slightly inflated his 'save' rate.
  20. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

:L: