Tufts University - Police Officer Opening

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by RookieBlue, Sep 11, 2012.

1. RookieBlue

RookieBlue Guest

POLICE OFFICER - Tufts University, Public Safety
    Company Name: Tufts University - Boston
    Salary/Wage range:
    Hourly Wage
    Job Status: Full Time
    Employee
    Reference ID: 10937437
    Job Category: Security/[​IMG]Protective Services
    Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
    Experience: Less than 1 Year
    Occupations: General/[​IMG]Other: Security/[​IMG]Protective Services
    Police-Law Enforcement

Job Description:

Job Ad Body:
    Posting Title : POLICE OFFICER - Tufts University, Public Safety
    Requisition Number : 1509
    City : Boston
    State/Province : Massachusetts
    Zip code : 02111
    Job Description-Overview :

Public Safety supports the University community by providing various services and programs that contribute to maintaining campuses that are reasonably safe and secure. Developing a safe and secure environment in an academic institution is the responsibility of the entire community. Within our community, the Department of Public Safety is assigned the primary responsibility to identify programs, methods and approaches to assist the institution toward achieving a reasonably safe and secure environment. Therefore, the Department is expected to be the leader in this area.

The Department exists for one main purpose and that is to support the goals of the higher education community. It exists to assist those who seek and those who impart knowledge, as well as those who provide support to the mission of the institution. The Department endeavors to preserve an environment where diverse social, cultural and academic values are allowed to develop and prosper.

All members of the Department are expected to actively participate in the achievement of our goals and in the service of the University for it is only through our collective efforts that our mission will be accomplished.

The Police Officer position is responsible for contributing to the safety and security of the university community.
    Responsibilities include:
    • Providing protective services,
    • Patrolling university grounds and buildings to prevent and detect crime,
    • Enforcing state laws, local laws, university regulations and providing other related public safety services,
    The Police Officer candidate must receive, upon hire or promotion, as well as annually, training on the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Process and its requirements, Ethics training, Harassment and the Department's mission, values and goals.
    [​IMG]

Job Description - Requirements :
    Basic Requirements:
    High School Diploma/GED with up to 1 year of related experience. Must posess a valid US divers license. Must be able to obtain and maintain Police licenses (police powers), Massachusetts License To Carry, others may be required. Must be able to learn and use cruisers, radios, pistols & other assigned police equipment as well as basic knowledge of computers and associated software programs for reports, email, etc. Position requires excellent written and oral communication skils, strong ability to write reports in preparation for court or judicial hearings, the ability to organize projects and programs, and strong commitment to the community policing philosophy. Must be able to successfully complete a psycological and a physical exam. Individual must be willing to work rotating shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays and to report for duty at any time. Ability to lift up to 30lbs. with or without accommodation.

Preferred Qualifications:
    The individual should be a graduate of an accredited full municipal police academy or equivelant and have a minimum of one year of full time experience as a law enforcement officer or other acceptable related experience, preferably in a campus environment. If academy training is provided by the university, successful completion is mandatory.
    Specific years of service requirement exists for those sent to academies by the university. See collective bargaining agreement and/or department policy.

Special Work Schedule Requirements:
    Individual must be willing to work rotating shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays and to report for duty at any time.

Please apply online at http://hr.tufts.edu/jobs

JOB REQUISITION #: 1509
  2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Everyone who complains about jobs that require an academy, here's your chance.
    USMCMP5811, Hush, Kilvinsky and 2 others like this.
  3. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Very true! I believe they pull from their security a majority of the time.

Here's a little more info regarding academy training from the posting directly from their web page:

"The individual should be a graduate of an accredited full municipal police academy or equivelant and have a minimum of one year of full time experience as a law enforcement officer or other acceptable related experience, preferably in a campus environment. If academy training is provided by the university, successful completion is mandatory.

Specific years of service requirement exists for those sent to academies by the university. See collective bargaining agreement and/or department policy."
  4. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

They will be hiring internally for this one. They have 2 security officers that already have the FT academy and a few dispatchers that have 4+ years on the desk.
    HuskyH-2 likes this.
  5. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

What I figured, good luck to them
  6. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Then why bother posting the position? It's not like it's a public sector job, where they have to go through the charade of posting it for __ days.
    Foxy85 likes this.
  7. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

I know of one person I'm rooting for on this, but I can't get into it right now.
    mpd61 likes this.
  8. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Kilv I believe he is going to get the position.
  9. Kilvinsky

Thank you VERY MUCH for that info! I hate to see anyone lose out (ok, some do NOT deserve ANY job) but for a whole bunch of reasons, it would be fantastic. Thanks again.
  10. Righty

Righty MassCops Member

Seems as though others have put their time in, and rightfully so. I'll definitely apply for the security openings when they come up, though. I'd think the EMT might be a good selling point, right? Great campus and good pay I hear.
  11. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone heard anything yet ?
  12. Drinkthekoolaid

Drinkthekoolaid MassCops Member

I've applied and haven't heard word yet. I would love to get on to a campus pd for at least a few years. The benefits are usually nice, at least in my neck of the woods. Can't beat free or next to nothing tuition....
  13. x148

x148 MassCops Member

I applied for the hell of it, Hows the pay? I don't know if it would be worth leaving a federal job :D
  14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Do you have or are planning on having kids?

Two words - Free Tuition.
  15. cheezsta

cheezsta MassCops Member

Im with a federal agency myself, and just for those two words Free Tuition would I leave my dept. I have a daughter that will be attending college in just a few years and any help I can get for her schooling beats out any benefits I get from my dept. right now. My wife and I are still paying off my wifes school loans. Plus from what I have heard this is a great dept. to work for.
    Delta784 likes this.
  16. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

How many more years until you can qualify for a pension ? If you can position yourself to earn a pension, a pay check, and free tuition for your family, you've done pretty well in this field.
    Delta784 and Drinkthekoolaid like this.
  17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'll hit max pension the same year that my twins graduate high school.....if I can get a campus PD gig that offers free tuition for family members, I'll consider that a grand slam home run.
    mpd61 and dano448 like this.
  18. x148

x148 MassCops Member

my daughter is only 2 so i got some years to go lol, I myself have the GI bill but I plan on having more kids. Therefore I am interested and it would cut my commute down a ton.
  19. BIG IRISH

BIG IRISH MassCops Member

Their Chief is a really nice guy and they usually hire within. I have a few friends that work there and make pretty good $$$. Good luck to all who apply and it also doesn't hurt to know somebody to give you a plug!!! Stay safe!!
  20. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Bruce!
    Stop it! You're always saying when you're out, you're out! Besides the twins are going to West Point/Annapolis/Colorado Springs right?o_O
  21. savebythomas322

savebythomas322 MassCops Member

I spoke to a BCPD officer the other day and he had told me that his department and the BUPD attend the Transit Police Academy. Is that even true with BUPD? Is it the same with Tufts PD or do they attend the SSPO academy in New Braintree?
  22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Many of the larger campus PD's send their recruits to the full MPTC academy, pending available space. The MPTC gives preference to cities and towns, so seats at the full academy can be hard to come by.
  23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'd pull the pin yesterday if I could, but I'd do another 4 years with a campus PD for my kids.

Hell, I'd march up and down Tremont Street in women's lingerie at rush hour for 4 years if it benefited my kids as much as a college education!
    zm88, Drinkthekoolaid and mpd61 like this.
  24. savebythomas322

savebythomas322 MassCops Member

Thanks for the info.
  25. Kilvinsky

Thanks for the info.:eek:
    frank and Delta784 like this.