Vehicle Stop - Best Way to Inform Officer You Are Armed?

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by tdcoda, Jul 19, 2016.

1. tdcoda

tdcoda New Member

So, on various websites I've seen different advice.

Being from Massachusetts, I'd like a little insight into how police actually feel here, considering the political climate is somewhat anti-gun.

Here are the two most popular answers I've found online.

First, do all the normal traffic stop procedures to make sure the officer is comfortable. Turn of the car, dome light on if it's night, window all the way down, hands on the steering wheel.

When the officer asks for your license, tell him clearly, "I have a valid and legal license to carry, and I want to inform you that I currently have my weapon on me."

Second most popular answer....do all the safety stuff mentioned above, but don't immediately inform verbally. Instead, when asked for your license and registration just get the out (while first telling the officer where you are going to reach), and then hand him your registration, driver's license, and LTC. Immediately put your hands back on the wheel and wait for him to see your LTC.

The reasoning I've seen for the second way is that the officer is immediately going see you have an actual LTC, instead of just hearing your verbalize it.

So....which is preferred by actual law enforcement?

And sort of a third question.....I know by law in the state that I do not have a duty to inform. If I didn't, and at some point in the stop the officer found out, is that more likely to give him a negative attitude towards me?

Now, I haven't been pulled over in years, so if I ever were it's going to be something very minor.

I know that lawfully you can ask me to step out of my car for any or no reason, but I can't be patted down unless there is reasonable suspicion that I have a weapon on me.

So as far as I can tell, there's a 99% chance that during any traffic stop an officer would have no idea I was carrying.

But for the sake of argument, let's say I have been asked to step out and I've been told I'm going to be frisked. At that point I say I Have a LTC and have my weapon on me. Is that going to cause a majority of officers to be annoyed I didn't inform earlier?

Thank in advance for your replies.

2. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

Call the following number, (617) 727-2200 and ask for Maura. She knows everything regarding public safety.......

3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Bail outta that hoop-dee, break out the gak, get in the "man's" face and say , what up mofo ? :D

BxDetSgt likes this.
  4. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

Here is a video instruction for your question

Kilvinsky, visible25 and pahapoika like this.
  5. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

Do the first option you mentioned. Let the officer know right away you have it on you with a valid LTC while keeping your hands on the wheel. If you're not a LEO, you best have it locked in the trunk. Glove box works too but trunk is better.

6. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Ummm what now? You do realize the C in LTC stands for Carry, right? What good is a handgun in the trunk going to do when you need it rightthefucknow?

zm88, GARDA, Kilvinsky and 5 others like this.
  7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Lol nooooo!! It stands for COMPARTMENT, where you keep your evil killy non-Healy approved weapons of mass destruction.

How dare you protect yourself with a firearm!! The commonwealth doesn't encourage "self-help!" Piss yourself and use your rape whistle!!

GARDA, Kilvinsky, felony and 4 others like this.
  8. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Fail

9. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

And the wrath of mass cop's know-it-alls strike again..
    Sorry OP, I was assuming your LTC was restricted since the second amendment doesn't seem to apply in the eyes of most MA towns. If your unrestricted, just tell the cop you have it on you.

Is that good enough for you "staff members"?

10. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

To the OP, there is no "best" way because there is no procedure and every Officer is different. Some will thank you for the heads up, some will take your gun (the real cockbags will disassemble it or empty your mags) some may even cuff you or prone you out. There are a variety of circumstances that could lead to any of above possibilities but remember the Officers MAIN concern is his safety, as it should be. If you're in a duty to inform state, that is your only option and you should follow that as they will likely be accustomed to encountering armed people.
    Know your rights, and how traffic stops work. If asked to step out, it's probably best to inform the Officer before he begins searching you. Avoid saying "I have a gun", best to say as mentioned above "I have a LTC and am carrying in a holster at my 3 o'clock position. They will be happy to tell you EXACTLY how they want you to proceed.

I have a friend who belongs to an antique Military vehicle club in VT. He was out for a ride in a vehicle with mounted replica machine guns (yes, silly) and he got stopped for a moving violation. He wrote up his encounter on FB and it was pretty funny:

I got pulled over today by the Essex Police in my WMIK. It was actually really funny and I think both the officer and I had a great time.

I pull over get out my reg/insurance from the plastic bag wedged in the dash, got my license out, and loaded the picture of my inspection sticker on to the phone (no windshield on the rover now) well I waited for the officer to walk up.

Older officer walks up next to me and says
    I guess this is the part where I ask you if you have any weapons in the vehicle (he can see 2 GPMG's, 2 SA80's, and a saw)! We both start laughing. Then I tell him I'm also concealed carrying. He say cool what you carrying? I respond with M&P in a Miami classic should holster. He responds with awesome. He asks do you know what I pulled you over? I reply no idea. He says you had your left blinker on for the last 5 miles.....it was getting annoying. We then talked guns, Rovers and I went on my way. Awesome to have a great interaction with a local cop for once.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  11. mpd61

I ain't no "staff member" here, just a regular MassCops demi-god. Sooooooooo..............
    1. Stop assuming
    2. Stop giving poo-poo advice
    3. Come to the meet and greet newbie (no balls)
    :p

Kilvinsky, Hush, zm88 and 4 others like this.
  12. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

1. Yes, shouldn't have assumed.
    2. It's good advise, how not to get yourself shot by a trigger happy.
    3. Time and place.

13. Pvt. Cowboy

2. Maybe it's the "trigger happy" that needs the adviCe. Us business folks do carry firearms and get stopped for civil infractions once in a while, doesn't mean someone needs to pre-prep their trigger because someone says, "I'm armed."

A change in thinking is needed. It's not the legal gun owners that the local LE needs to be be worried about. If I tell you that I have a weapon on me, pretty slim chance I intend to do you harm with it, since I just tipped my hand and all...

It's things like telling citizens that they need to secure their firearm in the trunk of their vehicle, that continues to increase the divide between the cops and the citizenry.

GARDA, Hush, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  14. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

Didn't mention trigger happy' as being in the right here, but I don't blame some of them with all the random LEO deaths. And yes, you have the right to carry but it's also the law to announce it on a vehicle stop so as I said... to avoid getting shot, mention it.
    And the trunk law comment was meant for someone with a restricted carry. It's the law in ma to secure it in the vehicle. Is that right? No. But that's MA for you

Kilvinsky likes this.
  15. Pvt. Cowboy

So by your logic... if I don't announce that I'm carrying, and I get shot, you don't blame the cop for shooting because of "all the random LEO deaths"??

You're out of your fucking mind.

Shit isn't random, either. It's calculated and acted out by members of terrorist organizations like BLM

Good Lord do I love living in NH.

And BTW, Mass has no duty to inform law, unless you're ASKED if you're carrying.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Hush likes this.
  16. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Kids not a cop and should stop giving out bullshit advice.

Hush and Pvt. Cowboy like this.
  17. mpd61

During a CMVI stop I don't give a fuck if you're lawfully carrying and don't really want to know. When someone tells you to; "announce it on a vehicle stop so as I said... to avoid getting shot, mention it." Then I gotta say whoa!

HuskyH-2 likes this.
  18. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

With all due respect... get off you high horse, the purpose of this forum is to learn. I'll admit when I'm wrong, and I was. A real officer (if you are a cop) would back up his statements with facts, not unnecessarily blandering the other person
    Not that I really care if you choose to believe it but I'm an officer in RI, we have first contact announcement. I grew up in MA and thought it was the same. Looked it up and I was wrong. I know... Shocking.
    So OP. I was wrong all along, my apologies. You only have to announce it IN MA if you're asked.

Stay safe out there.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Then why are you asking in the Bentley thread if they will hire people with no training? And the law in Mass requires you to produce your LTC if it is demanded of you, and no more.

zm88, Joel98, HuskyH-2 and 2 others like this.
  20. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

Because my little brother was interested in applying to their openings and I told him I would find out. Figured this would be the place to ask. Is that okay detective?
    And ok, that may be. According to multiple credible websites about concealed carry laws, it says you're obligated to inform an officer you're carrying, if asked in Massachusetts.

21. TBL93

TBL93 MassCops Member

And no, Wikipedia was not my "credible" site

22. Pvt. Cowboy

Your attitude sucks.

Fix it, or your existence here will be very short.

Only warning.

zm88, Joel98, HuskyH-2 and 2 others like this.
  23. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I would also like to inform people who are unaware. If the Officer asks randomly if you have a LTC during a traffic stop. . . he or she already knows the answer to that question. So don't get into the whole I don't need to answer that question game that some people pull. I for one don't have Chapter 90 so I cant speak from experience but I know some gun owners who like to harp on the fact you don't need to inform the officer.

24. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Well that's just dumb. Like you said, if they're asking they already know the answer. Why be a dick about it? Unless of course these people just enjoy being dicks and/or are looking for trouble.

Kilvinsky and HuskyH-2 like this.
  25. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

I've had that conversation more than once . . . it usually goes well how do they know I have a gun? What reasonable suspicion do they have? I say well when they run your plate its kinda shows up you have a LTC. :eek: