Vehicle Stop - Best Way to Inform Officer You Are Armed?

Discussion in 'Ask A Cop' started by tdcoda, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Fuzzywuzzy

Fuzzywuzzy MassCops Member

I'm sure any long time working cop has probably stopped dozens or hundreds of people who were lawfully carrying and never knew it.
    All aside I would prefer that there was a duty to inform the officer that they are a sphincter muscle and the contact could become acrimonious. It would save alot of time.

Joel98, Kilvinsky, HuskyH-2 and 2 others like this.
  2. tdcoda

tdcoda New Member

First I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, good and bad.

Since you gave the most in depth response Hush, I was hoping you could answer a couple other questions.

First I've come to the understanding that officers already know you have an LTC from running your plates.

So why would some feel the need to cuff someone because they're armed? Honestly, I understand the importance of officer safety, but even removing the weapon from my person seem a bit much (unless I was acting especially odd or suspicious). I mean, if they see in advance I have a valid LTC, that means I've never committed a criminal act. When was the last time someone with an LTC tried to shoot a cop in the state? In all my years I've never heard of a case. It's just the way I see it, an officer shouldn't be any more fearful of me with a gun once he knows I have a valid permit than I should be of him with a gun. There should be some sort of "equality in trust" there if you understand what I'm saying.

Second question, will a majority of officers actually screw you over for open carrying?

Don't get me wrong I would never even chance it in Massachusetts, but from my understanding it's technically legal. The issue is that a lot of officers will either simply report you and your license will be yanked, and some will even arrest you for assault or disturbing the peace. Those charges may or may not hold up, but if you are reported for open carrying there's pretty much a 100% chance your LTC will be yanked.

So I'm just curious (even though as I said I'll never do it) would you say that the majority of officers around this state are willing to report you to the licensing board?

Final question.....

My winter carry, when I know I won't have to take my jacket off, is a Gen 2 Glock 17. I was sold this gun by a licensed FFL and he included with the purchase a "pre-ban" 17 round magazine.

However, there are no markings on the magazine to indicate that it's a legal pre-ban mag.

Am I looking for trouble carrying that?

3. asquared

asquared MassCops Member

I'll take this one on- any MA LEO who makes an arrest for simply open carry without more to the story is an embarassment to all of us and is asking to be sued. This was very clearly covered in legal updates last year. Open carry (of handguns) with an unrestricted LTC-A is perfectly legal and is not a reason to revoke or suspend said license. Obviously, making overt threats or intentionally putting someone in fear is a different situation. But if you're walking down the street with a holstered handgun on your person, barring any additional aggravating circumstances, there's no crime being committed.

tdcoda, mpd61, Edmizer1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

This happened to me once: I get pulled over by this Local Yokle. He walks up and I hand him my license and registration and I say, very politely, "I have a LICENSE to CARRY also, and there's not a GODDAMN thing you can do about it so don't even THINK of harassing me, GESTAPO!" then I added, "Oh, by the way, I'm on the job, Brother, how's it go...."

It was at that point my face mysteriously hit the steering wheel, THREE TIMES. Wow. That guy couldn't take a joke.

Goose, mpd61 and HistoryHound like this.
  5. tdcoda

tdcoda New Member

Thank you very, very much. Many of you have cleared up a lot for me.

I actually didn't know that. Do you have a link to those legal updates? I'd be very interested to read them.

To be honest, I still don't think I'd be comfortable open carrying in this state.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think enough people in the state open carry and there aren't going to be enough LEO's who are use to it. I feel like a lot of people would be calling the cops on me, and a lot of the cops responding would not be use to dealing with it. Even if they realize they don't have cause to arrest me, I don't want to get proned out with guns drawn on me.

It's funny how different things are in New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont. I take a lot of trips up there and have no fear of open carrying.

And if anyone has any comments on the preban magazines i asked about, that's really the only other thing I worry about.

Thanks again everyone.

6. felony

felony MassCops Member

Waving your firearm out the window at the approaching officer is always the best approach. Or you could always get out of the vehicle, while the officer is on approach and start grabbing at your waist band, yelling "I have a gun".

Kilvinsky likes this.
  7. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're in a uniform or in the woods, open carrying is stupid. Just don't. Everyone I have seen open carrying usually has a pos gun in a pos holster and the situational awareness of a rock.

mpd61, Kilvinsky, Pvt. Cowboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Lmfao... "Situational awareness of a rock."

I'm not an open carry fan, I like having the tactical advantage. I print my shit like a BOSS sometimes, however.

And yeah, I see a lot of glocks being open carried.

(Stage one trolling commenced)

Kilvinsky likes this.
  9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Unless I'm in uniform, I would NEVER open carry. It's like saying, "HEY WORLD, I HAVE GUN! HA HA HA! CHALLENGE ME! COPS, CHALLENGE ME! CRIMINALS, CHALLENGE ME! MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS, CHALLENGE ME! I'm in the RIGHT!"

and that is the exact moment that a lunatic (ok, a criminal lunatic, not a 2nd amendment lunatic) walks up and says, "Oh man, you have a gun? Wow, can I see it?" and shoots the dipshit, takes his gun and knocks over a liquor store.

YouTube is loaded with these assholes. I've posted numerous times that, these are the very people who will put the 2nd amendment in jeopardy. We have liberals running the show right now and they look for any and every reason to curtail our rights, WHY FEED THEM?

Keep it under wraps, keep it hidden, keep it safe. No, I don't carry off duty, I know I should, but it's been so long that I haven't that it's tough to reverse that, but that does NOT mean I would ever, for any reason, want to stop ANY law abiding citizen from carrying, ESPECIALLY LEO's.

pahapoika and mpd61 like this.
  10. tdcoda

tdcoda New Member

Well, like I said I don't open carry in Mass.

When I go to New Hampshire I do.

Simple reason....it's all I'm allowed to do there without a license.

I'm not trying to yell "Challenge me" to anyone. I feel more comfortable armed, plain and simple.

When I go up to Maine or Vermont, I occasionally open carry.

I can carry concealed in both states and 95% of the time I do.

The other 5% of the time I'm somewhere way up in north bumf*ck in either state and I'll open carry because it's more comfortable and absolutely nobody is going to bat an eye.

As for open carrying in Mass, I'll admit there are occasional times I wish it wouldn't cause a fuss.

In the winter, I like to carry a full size gun. I'm more than proficient with my subcompact, but I still feel better with a full size. Most people know carrying a full size IWB is never close to being comfortable. So, a lot of times I'll carry OWB under my jacket. What sucks then is if I'm running errands and stopping in a store, I can't take my coat off. Some store are hot as hell. It would be nice to be able to take my coat off for 20 minutes while I'm there and not have a fuss made when people see me open carrying.

So I definitely think concealed carry is better than open overall, but on occasional times I don't see open carry as being that bad.

11. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

I don't wanna know, so don't compound your driving flaws that got you stopped in the first place by stitching it together with an "I'm armed" declaration, unless of course you anticipate that I'm about to give you an exit order from your car.
    (In that case, and if my instincts, training and experience are all supported by probable cause, then I already have reason to believe you're armed, so don't worry... I'm sure I will have your undivided attention at that point anyway). So in summary I'll say this, roadside is never a place to linger safely for any reason, and certainly not for an unnecessary announcement that you are lawfully carrying. I could care less unless you give me a reason to. Keep Calm and Carry On.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  12. Mark3209

Mark3209 MassCops Member

MA is ridiculous, everything is banned, get arrested there for a spent shell casing if you don't have the proper licensing.

Grew up in MA, moved to NH few years ago, won't bother jumping through hoops to bring my guns when I visit family, check the NRA website for current laws in states, AG Healey could ban all guns overnight if she reinterprets another law!