Veterans Affair Police Academy

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by BSP1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BSP1

BSP1 MassCops Member

I would like to get some information on the VA police Academy in little rock arkansa i will be attending soon i know it's 5 weeks long but what do they covered and how hard is't any information will be greatfull.

Thank you
  2. rigrig22

rigrig22 MassCops Member

Hey what VA are you going to be working at?
  3. rigrig22

rigrig22 MassCops Member

I had a blast down there... if you have any LE experiance at all it should just be a review for you... if you are in decent shape the PT will be no problem... and the instructors are a really good group of guys Mr. Taylor will have you laughing the whole time.
  4. rigrig22

rigrig22 MassCops Member

Hey are you from Dedham... Who is this?
  5. BSP1

BSP1 MassCops Member

Hey Rigrid22 My Buddy Whants To Know What Is A Regular Day At The Academy Is Like
  6. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

5 weeks? Fairly short...
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Federal Auxiliary Police

It's not the length, it's what you do with it that counts!;)
  8. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

I just graduated from there the other day. It's not so bad. 8 hours a day, with a healthy lunch break. they cover the basics you need to know to work the VA...Are you going, or is your buddy?
  9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

Ain't that the truth. You can have an academy that runs MONTHS and all you get out of it is how to fold a shirt, take being screamed at and march or you can have an academy that last a short time and you know when and why you can arrest people.

I've known more than my share of guys who went through the academy in the best of physical shape, put everyone to shame with how fast they could run and how many sit ups they could do, and within three years were just as fat and lazy as me.

:)
  10. FAPD

FAPD MassCops Member

You and MPD61 both went through the "short academy". Is that anything like the short bus! At five weeks the V.A. academy must be a joke. I heard the main theme is how to deal with patients and let the doctors and nurses handle 90% of the problems. You campus boys need to stop trying to make these jobs more than they are!
    :rolleyes:
  11. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Being a VA cop has potential to be very dangerous. One minute your dealing with a Vet who ran a canteen, the next minute your dealing with a Vet who was a Green Beret.
  12. Beowolf

Beowolf MassCops Member

What are the PT stnds for someone who's 40 with push ups, sit ups and the 1 mile run.

Also, is the weapons quals still from 7ft to 25ft and you need at last 80%

Thanks
  13. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

I'm not sure about for the 40-50 age group, but it would be around 20 push ups, 30 sit ups, and run 1 mile in about 14:30 or so.

You need to score 40 hits out of 50 inside the 'Q' target (so, yes, 80%), the course of fire is shot from 7 yards to 25 yards (although you only shoot two rounds at 25 yards). I know we've got a posting in now, we're looking for 7 or 8 more guys.

The academy is short, but the VA, in theory at least, only hires people who have at least one year law enforcement experience (with arrest authority), or a 4 year degree in criminal justice. So, really, the academy only needs to ensure that you learn the 'VA way' of doing business...most new hires should already know the rest.
  14. Beowolf

Beowolf MassCops Member

Thanks for the info. I noticed that the boston hcs (boston, w. rox and brockton) have 7 openings. Was there a mass exit or just the usual high turnover. Mngt any better there then it had been or still staus quo
  15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky Will Work for Beer

Well, funny enough, in an earlier post (I think maybe a few earlier posts) I made mention of the fact that I went through the FULL MUNICIPAL ACADEMY and, well, it was only 12 weeks. Massachusetts felt that it was sufficient back in 1981, but then again, at the time they didn't count on YOU coming along and needing all that much more training. :pinch:

My Dad went through an academy that was even shorter in 1965 and he turned out alright, in fact he retired as one of the most respected Detectives on his department, and with SO LITTLE EDUCATION! WOW, who'd a thunk it?

So, what's your point? I have no idea how much training you needed before you hit the pavement, but since most of the best learning is done AFTER graduation, I'd love you to edu-ma-cate me. I'm all eyes (no sound on this board....YET) and honestly have an open mind.
  16. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

I noticed the huge ad in the Herald for this job in Brockton, does anyone have any info? sorry I have been away for a while.
  17. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

Turnover, plus the fact that they are trying to build up the department to have more than two guys on at a time.

I'm new, so I can't speak for the old management, and haven't really been here long enough to pass judgement on the current management. They're currently selecting a new chief, so who knows how management will be in the future? I can say that the VA police organization, nationwide, has made some changes over the past few years and is working on making some more big changes, but being Federal, things move slowly.

For those who think the academy is too short, one of the changes they are looking at is lengthening the curriculum...
  18. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

What info do you need?
  19. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

It doesn't really work that way...the doctors and nurses can always call us for help with a patient (and they do), but if we are having trouble with someone, we aren't going to call the medical staff to help (and why would we?).

If anything, it works the other way, in that there are patients who should probably be prosecuted for crimes but just end up 'referred for clinical action.' This is never something we suggest, it's something that comes from the medical staff. The police department is subordinate to the medical center, so if we were somehow giving our problems to them, it certainly wouldn't last long.
  20. I'm new to the site and I can never get a straight answer. What goes on at the police academy. (what courses are taught, what hands on tasks are taught, and what PT aspects are they looking for?) What is taught at the VA Officer Academy in Arkansas? I was looking to apply to the Boston area vacancies. Any infor would be great.
  21. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

Week 1: Defensive tactics, PR-24, handcuffing, searching

Week 2: VA policies, paperwork, tickets, federal court system, etc.

Week 3: Constitutional law.

Week 4: Traffic stops, investigations, interrogations, etc.

Week 5: Firearms.

Week 6: There is no week 6...you'll be back at your VA and on the job full time.

Depending on your age, for PT you have to do around 20-27 push ups, 25-35 sit ups, and run a mile in 13:30-15:00.
  22. PatrolDB

PatrolDB MassCops Member

VA officers armed?
  23. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

Yup. Beretta 92D Centurion 9mm. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it's a big improvement over stick and spray.
    Central Office just approved a Sig for issue, also, but no telling when they will start arriving at the stations.
  24. PatrolDB

PatrolDB MassCops Member

Seems like you guys have it pretty good over there...
  25. bleeps

bleeps MassCops Member

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess.