What is the proper way to wear ribbon bars and medals?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Meat Eater, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Meat Eater

Meat Eater MassCops Member

I was asked a question that I couldn't answer. I was asked if a police officer should wear his medals and his ribbon bars at the same time. My department doesn't do medals or ribbon bars so I don't have any idea. I asked one of my coworkers who was in the Army. He said in the Army you either wear your ribbon bars or your medals. He said you don't wear them at the same time. Does anyone know the right way to wear them?

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Army regs say either medals or ribbons, not both at the same time. I can't speak for other branches, but I imagine it's the same.

3. topcop14

topcop14 Subscribing Member

Ribbons, metals, what are those? Are they given for doing a good job and going the extra mile? If so thats why I don't know because reconizing an officer for a job well done doesn't happen anymore. Hell we don't even get letters in our files anymore. Opps correction we do get letters but they are never good. :mad:

BxDetSgt, GARDA, csauce777 and 3 others like this.
  4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Administrator Staff Member

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

6. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

In full dress uniform medals are hung over the wearers left pocket, Unit citations, service ribbons, Combat Action Ribbon and other ribbons with no corresponding medal will be worn over wearers right pocket.

GARDA and USMCMP5811 like this.
  7. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

Individual agencies will vary, here's an example: MSP P&P Gen. 02 Uniforms.jpg

For years I opted not to wear my military ribbons or jump wings on my Dress LE uniform.
    I thought it was important to prove myself in my new profession and earn new ones.

But then at the urging of far greater men than me, I now honor what I consider to be current & past 'duties', by displaying them on my Class "A" uniform.

Some departments and supervisors are better than others at recognizing their "workers", but most quiet professionals care little about such things.

Mark Twain may have said it best, "It is better to deserve honors and not have them, than to have them and not deserve them."

BxDetSgt, LawMan3, mtc and 3 others like this.
  8. Meat Eater

Meat Eater MassCops Member

Thanks for the answers so far. So ribbon bars over the right pocket of a dress uniform and medals over or on the left pocket. My department doesn't do medals or ribbon bars. The only think in my jacket are complaints.:)

BxDetSgt likes this.
  9. mtc

mtc High Priestess Staff Member

Then you're clearly doing it right!

USMCMP5811 and 263FPD like this.
  10. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

"Men who carry rifles for a living do not seek reward outside the guild. The most cherished gift...is a nod from his peers."

11. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

A nod from your peers is the 2nd most cherished gift...
    Paying your bills with those skills is even better. :D

Dan Stark, Hush and USMCMP5811 like this.
  12. GuardTheGavel

GuardTheGavel MassCops Member

Just being able to take my vest off after every shift with no bullet holes in it is good enough of an award for me.

13. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Oh yeah bills, I was thinking of somthing else that you usually don't get from your peers, but it does involve some nodding, as being the greatest gift of all;)

Dan Stark and GARDA like this.
  14. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Go for the swagger boys, always for the swagger:
    admiralgeneral.png

niteowl1970 and GARDA like this.
  15. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

We call that bobbing. ;)

GARDA and BxDetSgt like this.