Worcester Airport Police/Fire

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by GuyS, Nov 19, 2007.

1. GuyS

GuyS MassCops Member

Airport Rescure Firefighter / Security Guard Apply Dates: 11/18/07 - 11/30/07 Department: Airport Description: The Worcester Regional Airport is seeking candidates for the
    position of Security Guard/Crash Crewman. Daily
    responsibilities include, but are not limited to, Emergency
    Responses, Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting and Airport
    Security Regulation/Law Enforcement. Position reports
    directly to the Principal Security Guard/Crash Crewman.
    Applicant must be able to work any of three daily shifts as
    needed to include weekends and holidays. Must pass
    Psychological and Physical Screening. Preferred
    qualifications include: MCJTC full or Part Time Police
    Academy; NFPA Fire Fighter 1 and 2; and current EMT
    certification. Full-time position with excellent benefit
    package.

Please send resume and letter of intent on or before
    November 30, 2007 to: Office of Human Resources, Room
    109, 455 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608. EOE/AA
    employer. Preference given to Worcester residents.
    Salary: $38,000.00 annually - $53,000.00 annually Hours per Week: 40 Mail Resume to: Office of Human Resources 455 Main Street Worcester MA 01608 Job Location: 455 Main Street Worcester MA 01608

2. OutOfManyOne

OutOfManyOne Subscribing Member

This used to be a police officer/firefighter position. Now it's a guard position. Interesting.

3. id1811xecj

id1811xecj MassCops Member

I believe the MGLs prohibit requiring someone to serve as both a police officer and firefighter.

4. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

I've heard that somewhere before. But I do know civil service firefighters who work part-time at non-civil service police departments and do details.

Found it....

Chapter 41: Section 97F. Firefighter duties; performance by police

Section 97F. No city or town shall require a member of its police department, or other employee with police powers, to perform the duties of a firefighter during his tour of duty; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit any such member from serving as a call or volunteer firefighter, or from responding to an emergency in the normal course of his duties. No police officer, or other employee with police powers, shall, in connection with any industrial or labor dispute, perform the duties of a firefighter or any duties other than those regularly assigned to him

5. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

I thought that MassPort had taken over the Worcester Airport or is it still run by the city?

6. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

94c would that apply to an airport, it did say city or town. I have no idea, I am just wondering if that would apply to the airport even though its not a town or city, interesting point.

7. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

They're still police officers AFAIK up there. Not much to do up there, seems more security oriented, but they are armed and have police powers and a Worc. PD Radio,

8. masscopguy

masscopguy Guest

Massport does run the Worcester Regional Airport. I can't think it would be a very exciting place to work since there are currently no regularly scheduled flights in or out of the airport.

They may have some charter flights and there used to be a flight school there.

If it is a Massport job the pay and benefits are usually very good.

9. GuyS

GuyS MassCops Member

I think it's a city job. Not posted on Massport website, but it is on Worcester's web page. All applications must be sent to Worcester Human Resources

10. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

If its Massport I would guess it would be patrolled by Massport Police.

11. OutOfManyOne

Negative, MSP Troop-F patrols Hanscom/Bedford Airport also,even though it is MassPort. MassPort covers only the boats in Boston, not the airports. I don't think MSP patrols Worcester Airport as it is in limbo on what is going to happen there.

12. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

No idea. Just trying to justify why they'd be looking for "Security Guards" with preferred police academy training.

13. GuyS

GuyS MassCops Member

Anyone have any inside info on the dept./job and can maybe give some answers on it?

14. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

i'm curious to know if they go to the F/T academy.

15. GuyS

GuyS MassCops Member

I knew someone who worked there in the late 90's. They sent him through the Worcester f/t academy back then. Now, I don't think the city pays too much attention to them. I would imagine that their turn over rate must be high since it's dead up there.

16. Who patrols Worcester "regional" airport? MSP or Worcester Police? Where is it? I never heard of it. Thank you.

17. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

It's in Fitchburg.

18. OutOfManyOne

:L:
    It's actually an old SAC base that housed B-58 Hustlers. Here is a picture as it was taxing around Worcester.
    [​IMG]

19. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

it looks pregnant haha

20. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Neither.

Where is it? Got yer badge from a bubblegum machine did ya?

21. Imdisguysd

Imdisguysd MassCops Member

It's actually in Worcester. It's up in the hills north of the city and west of the 195/290 split. There are occasional charters that run out of that airport. When the need arises, they pull TSA screeners out of Logan (most of those who are pulled reside in the Worcester area) to screen passengers. You might notice an oval sticker on some Massport vehicles and other ancillary airport vehicles that says "BOS/BED/ORD". ORD is the designator for Worcester.

I can tell you for a fact that Troop F does NOT patrol Worcester airport nor does the Massport Police. Other than that, I can't shed any light on the responsibilities of who might do it.

22. GuyS

GuyS MassCops Member

Other than that, I can't shed any light on the responsibilities of who might do it.[/quote]

Apparently, they have their own police force, since this thread is about the job opening.

23. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

OOH!! OOH!! Pick me! Pick Me!

I Know!! I Know!!

The Worcester Airport Police!

24. sgtsmithers

sgtsmithers MassCops Member

Worcester Airport Police are their own agency granted authority-power by the City of Worcester. The Dept is made up of a Chief, 2 Lts, 3 Sgts and about 15 Patrolmen. All are firefighter certified. The Dept has a top notch SWAT unit, as well as a Vice unit, motorcycle unit, air -wing, horse unit, dune buggy and beach patrol. Newly hired Officers are required to buy or make their own uniforms and gear. The main responsibilities of the job are to prevent the landing and occupation of Cuban Guerrilla forces. I hope this helps. :---)

25. mikeyd1313

mikeyd1313 MassCops Member

you always are a big help. From what I understand they are pretty busy up there, if you call the main airport number, they answer. By the way, you forgot the K-9 unit, they have about 26 active dogs